#2minPD: A design challenge becomes a movement

April 11, 2014
Fellow, 2013-2014

More

(Graphic by Ben Wilkoff)

(Graphic by Ben Wilkoff)

The idea of #2minPD started as a pipedream. Now, it’s a movement. Whether it lives is up to you.

I published a blog post here on the whiteboard a few days ago in which I shared a new concept I had developed for teacher professional development (PD) called “two-minute PD”. A two-minute PD is a video created by educators for educators. Each video features an exciting teaching strategy, classroom activity or teaching concept worth sharing.

My goal was to transform what is considered a time-consuming yet necessary practice into something that is a welcome part of a teacher’s everyday life. Shortly after I published my blog post, my #2minPD idea acquired some early adopters. Now, it’s quickly forming into a movement, with people contributing from around the world.

These early adopters have been reaching out to express their excitement and support around #2minPD, and many have started filming and sharing their own videos. I’m currently working on creating a distribution system where selected videos are pushed out to teachers who subscribe to receive them via mobile. The best part: all of this content is free.

I believe this is an opportunity for teachers to effectively take on the world as their classroom.

In Derek Sivers’s popular 2010 TED Talk titled, “How to Start a Movement“, he highlights the “first follower” as being critical to the success of any movement.  He says that “the first follower is what transforms a lone nut into a leader.”  If you haven’t seen it, I definitely recommend watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V74AxCqOTvg

In that vein, #2minPD’s early adopters are proving Sivers’ theory true. I received this video from Australia of a #2minPD. Seeing an idea take root and travel around the world is a humbling and inspiring experience. I shed a tear watching this video on the couch with my husband. It was a realization of everything for which I had worked so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFgZjeDT0ck&feature=youtu.be

Then, this video came in from Ben Wilkoff, the director of personalized professional learning in Denver Public Schools. He decided to capture his support of this idea in a car ride. He frames this concept in some new ways that make me extremely excited about what is yet to come. He has since helped grow the #2minPD movement by creating a presence for it on Facebook, Google+ and YouTube. He even created the graphic featured in this piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKFKy5cPHv0
Most excitingly is the impact this concept is already having in the classroom. After posting her #2minPD, Lisa Abel-Palmieri’s teaching strategy, Rose-Bud-Thorn, was used in two classrooms to help students reflect on their learning in different ways. This blog post includes Lisa’s #2minPD video, shares how the activity went and even builds on the concept with some additional questions.

I am working now on getting as many #2minPD videos made as possible. I will curate a series from those submissions to create a daily PD offering for educators in the fall of 2015.

I have an ambitious goal: I want to reach 1 million educators daily for 30 days!

Stay tuned for a link to sign up for the #2minPD series in the fall of 2015. In the meantime, get details about how to create your own #2minPD. And, of course, thank you to everyone who has made #2minPD more than I could have imagined.

Share This Article

3 Comments

Write a Reply or Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *